Monday, April 17, 2006

Never advise anyone to go to war or to marry.

It's a Spanish proverb. Who knew?

So, the advice I am asking of you today, is this:

Should I move to Spain to teach English for 10 months?
University of Cantabria in Santander, northern Spain. On the coast. Starting October 1.

Just so you don't say something stupid, I'll give you a basic pros and cons list:
Pros:
  • I love Spain.
  • I have always wanted to live in Spain.
  • I teach English for a living. This would spice up the resume a bit, eh? And I might be able to keep the teaching job for when I come back.
  • I didn't get to go to northern Spain when I was there last year.
  • Hello?!! Living in Europe.
Cons:
  • I lack funds. (It's not one of those internships where they give you lots of money. It would cost money. A lot of money.)
  • I was all raring to go on my second BA.
  • 10 months is a long time to be alone in Spain.
  • It's cold up there. And it would be mostly winter.
  • I just moved. And I like my house and my roommates.
  • I have two good jobs that I would have to leave.
  • The deadline was two days ago. (This is the only reason I know about it; no one applied so it's still open and they emailed me. Mailing list. Don't get flattered.)
As far as my qualifications, if you're reading this you know that I speak Spanish, studied Spanish Literature in Alcala de Henares last summer, have a BA in Linguistics (with a Spanish minor) and a TESOL certificate, teach ESL (basic and intermediate and covet the advanced class), and I have always wanted to live in Spain.

But, but, but...

Just give me your opinion. The decision will be made by me and soon. Really, it's already made, I'll apply and see what happens. But still tell me what you think. It's a harder decision than you think. I've never had a visa before. Do you have any idea how much a visa costs? I would miss Christmas. It would be really cold. (Eeew. Cold.) What about my degree? I was going to take a class with Linds. I've never had friends in my classes before (except for Al in Survey of Jazz and Stacey in Syntax. But then Al moved away and Stacey was just this current semester.) What if I can't afford it? I'll have to do some serious auditing tonight.

Please comment. Please.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

wouldn't you rather be cold in spain than in salt lake?

Anonymous said...

Wow, as i read the pros, I was ready to say "seize the day! Go!!" However as i read the cons... I slowly reverted back into a lowly cookie-cutter response of (sigh) "maybe it wouldnt be such a good idea." So I can cover all my bases by saying... "follow your heart my friend!" Haha. I think youve prob already made the decision in your heart anyway. So lemme know what you decide.

jo said...

I am now commenting.

My gut reaction is to say go for it. It sounds like such an adventure!

And then when I start thinking about it I realize that you have valid concerns. Cold is annoying. Missing Christmas is melancholy. And money is always an issue. So the answer from me is... it's an adventure, we would be sad to have you gone, if you felt like it was realistic and exciting, I think you should go. If you felt like it was something you should do... you should go.

But... we'd miss you.

Anonymous said...

One way or another ill miss you. Ill be going on a mission for twuu years. Ime not going to say you shouldnt go. I dont want you to regret passing it up. Give it a try one way or another ittl most likely teach you some awesome life lessons. And Remember wherever you go it will be [Feinsmecker] "Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
Confucius[Confuse-us]

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should go somewhere where they'll pay you alot of money to teach English. You shouldn't have to pay to teach English.

Anonymous said...

Does the fact that no one has applied previously concern you? Alone in Spain, money in the hole, walking away from good friends and a new place to live....What's not to like?

Anonymous said...

Wait until a paying position comes along. I know they're out there. Listen to your father.

Anonymous said...

When will you ever have this opportunity again? I say do it. You've already enjoyed 22 Christmas's at home and you'll have many more. Try one in spain. and then you can have spanish christmas traditions.

Anonymous said...

I can't even decide what I should wear in the morning, let alone help you make such a monumental decision . . . but in this context here are a few more: Seafood in the north is incredible; you could learn a new dialect; friendly people - what's not to love? Intense state pride (okay - so they take it to the extreme, but you have to respect it); all of your "closest" friends will suddenly volunteer to visit you. Probably not much help, but I'd say be spontaneous and go for it!

the anna said...

but you always wear the right thing! are you one of those "closest" friends?

Anonymous said...

ahhhh, spain. how do i love thee? let me count the ways.

So remember last summer, when we were in Spain together? Good times. And remember how we talked about going back to Spain this year to live in Barcelona and teach English? So when I read this, my first thought was, "wow it really might happen for her, and I am sooo insanely jealous."

If there is any time to do it, now is definitely the time. And if there is anyone I know who could handle 10 months alone in Spain and love every minute of it, it is definitely you.

But honestly, if I were you, I would not go. That cons list of yours is pretty compelling. Especially the whole money thing. I'm scared that you won't be able to eat once you get over there.

It may or may not be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Who knows? But I think that there still will be plenty of other adventures to cross your path in the future even if you don't go.

Angela said...

Joanna,
I don't know you super uberly well. But from what I gather you really lay it all out and really deeply decide. I'm kind of at that point right now too, and I'm pulled everywhere. From the looks of your list..I see you are too. I think about how I decided to go to Spain. Something I've kind of always wanted to do...travel Europe. It was a bonus though, I was learning a new culture and Spanish too, which developed my love for it, before I wasn't a big fan of Spanish believe it or not. It's one of those things that your parents tell you you should do and you go along with it.
What I'm trying to say is, you have a solid sense of who you are and what you are capable of. Can you do this? Does your family believe in you? Those cons were icky, when you take a step back and look at the big picture...can you handle it?

Joanna, you are a lot like me...it's insanely ridiculous.

Ang

Angela said...

Hey Joanna,

From what I gather just talking to you the few times I have, you've always appeared to know what you are doing. I'm kind of stuck in the same position as you are...i feel like i'm stretched in so many directions kind of like how you are with your pros and cons.
The question I ask myself is..can i handle it? I take a step back and i look at the big picture...is this something I can handle, cons and all? There will be times it will be hard, I know i didn't enjoy spain 24/7. that's part of living somewhere i guess.
that's me though, you are different. you have this boundless energy for optimism. those cons look icky, but behind those cons is a great opportunity.
Even if you don't take it, there is always another good opportunity to come by...He works in mysterious ways!

Anonymous said...

Well, this is kind of late, but I thought I'd still share my two bits. It would be ideal if money wasn't an issue, but, woefully, it is. Wait for a paid offer.

-Erin, from the joy-school days (when money didn't matter in our eyes)