Saturday, May 06, 2006

if you are having problems logging in,

i found my phone.
well, my little brother found my phone. he almost ran it over with the lawn mower.
how it got on the grass is beyond me. but i'm glad it's back.

i kind of hate how lost i am without it, but at the same time, it's kind of like valerie's response to the cate brooks' question game question: "a telephone booth, because no matter where you are you can get in contact with anyone else, anywhere in the world. it's a symbol of instant communication and connection with people."

in all honesty i thought that was kind of a funny answer because who uses phone booths?

but, in terms of my cell phone, that's absolutely right. in practice i wasn't really cut off from anything; nobody called, (ok so SOME people called, but they were all trying to find the phone, not me.) but when i have it i feel empowered. like i can go anywhere and do anything and people can still find me. (or i can find them and ask things like, where the crap does jan live again?) it's the principle. the possibility. the potential. with a capital t that rhymes with p...

allison calls it the isolation of society. and that's true, i guess.
but i felt more isolated standing around waiting for my family with no way to find them and no way for them to find me than i do when i'm too shy to talk to the person next to me.

(but being shy can still stop you from doing all the things in life you'd like to. so i work on that.)

anyway. weirdness. um, it's saturday. i didn't go to the institute, i did go to jan's.

wanna come over for pizza (good, handmade, with the best crust recipe EVER, pizza) and a movie? ok. see you at my place at 7-ish.

No comments: